Thursday, June 12, 2008

I am warning you, copy content will damage your traffic ranking

Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) matter….Some one asked me: I shall copy content from another site and publish it in my site . What will happen? This was recent question. I have faced similar questions in past. Few questions are: a) I have an website in mobile phone jammer segment. My website traffic rank is 17. I need to be in first 10 in Google. I want to copy the content of the site that is coming no 1 in Google in certain popular key word. Can I come to front page of Google if I do that ? Has it any impact on my search engine?
b) I do not have time to write content. I need to add fresh content in my site at least fore the spider to rank me in a better position. Can I copy news item from other portal and paste it on my site ? c) Can I run website with copy contents to earn from Google Adsense? d) Can I use content from other site and use it in my site acknowledging the source? …

I have come across this kind of question in past. Last question was from a SEO who has more experience than me!

In fact, I have one answer to all question – you can not!!!!!

This step is disastrous for ranking of your website. It may attract punishment from search engine. An website has two visitor- one is human visitor and other one is spider or robots. Spider or robot does have only a virtual existence and it is part of a search engine’s algorithm.
Please do not go for ‘copy and paste’ web content. It will damage your ranking. Spider does not understand any law. It understands certain code and tag. It will recognize your content as copy content. Some people argued with me that we have mentioned the source. Fine! Friends, it will save you from copy right violation allegation. Spider will not be able to understand anything.
I have an example for you. I was working with a Mumbai based web group as its PR head where SEO comes under my supervision. I wanted to start blogging. I did few articles and posted it in blog. Blog was part of the website here. There was a cut throat competition to come to 1 number page of Google. My site was in 2nd page. It was in 11 traffic ranking.
As blogging started, I found it influenced my ranking. One day I saw my site on front page of Google being on 10th. My colleague started coping content from different website and put it in blog page. After few days I saw I am out and on the way to get out of page 2 even.
After I realized my mistake, I stopped the blogging based on copy content. Later, I could repair my damage.
As an online professional, I shall strongly suggest you to re-write your copy and post it on your blog if you want to put some content from any other website at all.
@How multi website owners do?
I was in Barcamp Mumbai 3 in IIT campus where a famous blogger was telling his story. He manages 200 website. Sometimes he gets content from other websites also . But he edits everything before it goes online. He was giving example: Suppose address of a doctor is ‘SOUTH AVENUE’, do it ‘South Ave.’.

Friends, please do not use copy content. I am warning you! It will damage your website page ranking.
(It was published in my blog - www.prbhai.wordpress.com . As I moved to this blog , I have published thease posts here as well.: Blogger )

No comments: